Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

March 12, 2009

INTRODUCING: THE R&R REPORT

Have you stopped by one of your old haunts recently, only to find that it no longer exists? That's exactly that happened to me on Sunday. Apparently there's no more dim sum in Milwaukee.


We all know that the economy is in big trouble, and therefore so are allot of Americans. We're eating out, and definitely shopping less...for some of us rarely if at all. That being said, I beg of you: SHOP AND EAT LOCAL! I'm not trying to make you feel guilty about going to Target for tube socks. But this is pretty serious business I'm talking about here. Keeping small business owners in business is PARAMOUNT to our fragile economy. And there's more to that than dollars and cents. When entrepreneurs are able sustain not only a business, but a state of Independence, then we collectively thrive(and strive) in the American dream. So important do I feel this issue to be, that I believe that shopping/eating local is the most important thing that you and I can do for our country. Right now, here today. Period.

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PEOPLE WHO ARE EMPLOYED BY CHAINS OR FRANCHISES.

Why would you go to an Olive Garden for dinner, when for about the same price [ and I guarantee you better food ] you can patronize a local Italian restaurant whose FAMILY SURVIVAL depends on that restaurant keeping it's doors open? Why would you spend $75 on a piece of mass-produced in China wall decor at Bed Bath & Beyond, when you can go to the Mount Mary Art Festival [where nothing is priced over $100 bucks], and buy a piece of ORIGINAL ART?!

I'll get off my soapbox and make my point. With fewer dollars to spend, spend them wisely my friends. It's not only about what you want anymore, it's about what WE need.
And I do mean WE THE PEOPLE....

I'm hoping that The R&R Report will be a weekly affair, just a little shout out to make you aware of the best of local-owned retail and restaurants in both the Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas.

No big reviews or lengthy interviews with the owners. Just simply that they get my vote. We start this week with The Highland Park Cafe...

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!