Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

April 1, 2010

TO DYE FOR

Last year's Easter table was, if I do say so myself, eggceptional. Sorry, I couldn't help myself! There were actually 2 tables to accommodate the crowd, and I had a very specific idea of what the place card holders should be. Colored Easter eggs with everyone's names written in clear wax crayon. Naturally, the color I had in mind was specific too. [What?! I'm an interior designer, get over it!]. The finished eggs would rest in little pink-iridescent nests to mark each guest's spot. [Yeah. So I'm steroidally gay. What's your point?]

I decided the only way I was going to achieve this nebulous color was with natural dyes...except I'd never tried it before. I didn't really even have time to Google, so I mixed left over coffee with vinegar and a little turmeric...and voila, perfecto! Stacey provided the crowning glory by gracing the table with his magnificently decorated, signature carrot cake. Click the pic to enlarge it, and check that baby out!

I'm an absolute convert now so I thought I'd share my little experiment with you, and perhaps inspire you to try something different. There are all sorts of articles on the internet. Recipes for color, based on natural foods [No wasting the scraps! Use your beet ends and onion skins!]. Methods for both cold and hot baths, plus tons of tips and techniques to assist you in creating your own little masterpieces!


Aren't they gorgeous?

The rich, vibrant, and unusual colors are striking...

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!