Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

May 12, 2009

COLOR ME MICHAEL: THE NEW HUE REVIEW

In my last installment of Color Me Michael I wrote about using dark, saturated color. But what exactly are tints, tones and shades? This is color boot camp, so I'm going to give it to you straight.

Take a look at a color strip from your local paint store. On a typical example the color is darkest on the bottom, and it keeps getting lighter as you move up, right? The color in the middle is generally your "pure chroma". Moving up or down you get tint, tones, and shades of it. But how are these extensions of color created? Here's how it works, complete with correct terminology.

  • COLOR, HUE, and CHROMA are interchangeable terms.


  • A TINT is what you get when you add WHITE to the color


  • A TONE is what you get when add GRAY

  • A SHADE is what happens when you add BLACK


When choosing a new room color, remember that unless you live somewhere coastal or you're decorating a nursery, tints don't usually come across as very sophisticated. Likewise, neither do the bold effects of pure primaries like red, blue, or yellow. But whenever you add gray or black to a color, creating tones and shades, you automatically increase the level of sophistication.

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!