Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

October 30, 2009

WICK ED.

As the days grow shorter[and colder], I find myself burning more candles. There's something about the warmth and primitive glow that stirs delight. Let's face it, you can't beat candles to create ambiance. I'm sure that you burn more of them in the Fall/Winter too, which is why I'm presenting a little WickEd...

Of course one of the most important things you can do extend the life of any candle is keep the wick trimmed to 1/4 inch. When it comes to tapers and pillars, longer wicks while burning means more soot, and uneven burning. Even with dripless candles, keep the wick short to reduce soot.

Cotton wicks with paper cores, or preferably all paper wicks, ALWAYS. Again, better and more even burning, and very minimal soot.

There's a tremendous amount of debate amongst candle manufacturers about waxes/wax blends, and which are the best. Some tout that all soy burns the cleanest. While that may be true, fragrance buffs contend that a blend of soy and paraffin or other waxes actually carry and deliver fragrance better. This is what I say. Most quality candles ($$) contain better waxes these days, so don't worry about it. If you love the fragrance, buy the candle.

Speaking of fragrance. Real-deal essential oils always deliver a better scent. Besides, do you want to burn chemical fragrances in your house? Permeating the air that you breathe? For me, this IS why it pays to pay just a little more. Sorry kids, that means no Yankee or Glade candles.

When burning candles that come poured in a glass or metal container, remember to always burn them long enough for the wax to melt all the way to the edge of the container. If you do this, the candle will burn cleanly and evenly, all the way to the bottom, and you'll use ALL of the candle. Most candles burn to the edge in an hour, though some take longer depending on the wax and number of wicks.

Since the approaching holiday season is a time when most everyone is buying scented candles to either scent their homes or give as gifts, I'd like to recommend 3 of my favorite companies for fragranced candles. They each have a wonderful collection of everyday scents, and the most delicious holiday fragrances out there. You can click on the links between the pics and visit their websites to find their products in a store near you!

http://www.linneaslights.com/


http://www.voluspacandles.com/


http://botanicus.us/index.html

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!