Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

February 6, 2009

Book Review: Domino The Book of Decorating




I hate to grouse, but as an interior designer I encounter allot of crap on TV, and in magazines that espouses to be about the art of decorating. My issue is rarely about aesthetics. Every individual has a right to what they find appealing. When you hire me as your designer, its my job to give you the best possible design within the parameters of your taste, not mine. So my gripe with most design-orientated media is that it seems incessant on providing misinformation. I've grown very weary of beautiful television show hosts, referring to sofas as couches, and gushing on about what a great neutral color sage green is. The big rub for me is that all of this misinformation is being presented as facts, on what's intended to be educational programming.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. Domino magazine emerged about 5 years ago as a fresh-faced beacon for the young do-it-yourself designer. Over the years, it's become a bit more sophisticated, and I have enjoyed my subscriptions tremendously. Not everyone is inclined to hire a designer for their home ( or I'd be loaded by now ), and for those who'd rather take their cues from a shelter magazine than a hired professional, Domino Magazine is truly a great place to see what's hip & stylish, and the resources for obtaining it. We love Domino.


The hot-off -the presses Domino: The Book of Decorating is one of the absolute best, fully illustrated books on decorating I've ever encountered. Not just because the pictures are pretty, but because it's full of REAL, solid & useful information that's rooted in the elements and principals of good interior design. The editors have done a magnificent job in creating a book that not only shows you how to bring together the elements of a well designed room, but also explains WHY they work together. You have to really understand design in order to do this.

I also believe that this is one of the first books to be published that truly illustrates what is the most important "style movement" for interiors in 30 years: Traditional With A Twist. Both Domino and Elle Decor have really fuelled this style movement with their features over the last few years. The truth is that classic modern is well, now classic. And melding genres is not only hip, but practical for most people's decorating budgets. This new style, or way of decorating is really just that, and not a trend. Therefore the style, and advice you extract from this publication is likely to help you create an interior that's something you'll be happy with for a long time, and not bored with in 2 years when the trend runs it's course. It will instead be timeless.
That my friends is good design.

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!