Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

February 5, 2009

Vintage Green


Reduce, recycle, re-use.

There's been allot of talk lately about "going green", and for good reason.
In my profession, there's been a revolution in textiles and wallcoverings, and a host of new sustainable products have been introduced.
I intend to keep you posted on these cool new developments, but today I'd like to make mention of the coolest way you can be green in your next design adventure.




VINTAGE FURNITURE. Think about it. When you re-use a piece of furniture, you free-up a landfill space. Not to mention reduce some of the chemical waste created in the manufacturing process. For the record... I, and many of my friends are in the business of selling and or manufacturing new furniture, so I'm NOT suggesting that you fill your entire home with vintage furnishings ( unless of course that's your style! ). But in addition to the 'green factor', there are other good reasons [aesthetic and psychological] for bringing a little vintage to your house...

For starters, when everything in your house is new, it looks like it. It screams: "I went to a store, and bought all of this"! A well balanced interior looks thoughtful, not purchased. The addition of your grandmother's hope chest to your ultra-modern living room says:"Look at me! I'm interesting, I have a story"! A traditional dining room with vintage Saarinen chairs says: " I'm so chic. Look at how my interior transcends genres"!

Psychologically, a room with no history feels cold. Unless that's the vibration you want to come home to at the end of the day, I suggest you mix it up.
If you're short on hand-me-downs, may I suggest estate sales, or estate sale shops. Some great new textile or coat of paint can and will, transform your great new find in a jiffy. Most importantly, you get to be stylish while minding your pocket book, and giving the environment a break. Happy hunting!

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!