Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

December 4, 2009

HOLIDAY SPIRITS

I love a good libation...any time of year! The following recipes are for two of my favorites, and are ones that I've been making for years now. The first is Martha Stewart's Eggnog, the second is from my old friend Juanita De Luca. The eggnog is a HUGE crowd pleaser, but make note that I reduce the booze by a CUP! From my lips to God's ears, it was a little too much! As for Juanita's creamy rum-goodness, each sip tastes just a little too naughty to keep you on Santa's good side!



MARTHA'S EGGNOG
Ingredients
12 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 1/2 quarts heavy cream
3 cups bourbon
1/2 cup dark rum
2 cups cognac
freshly grated nutmeg



Directions

In a very large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Gradually add sugar to yolks. With a wire whisk, beat in milk and 1 quart cream. Add bourbon, rum, and cognac, stirring constantly. [I use less bourbon (2 cups, not 3), but you may do as you please!]


Just before serving, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into mixture. Whip remaining 1/2 quart heavy cream until stiff, and fold into mixture, Sprinkle with nutmeg. You'll need a rather large vessel to accommodate the recipe. I use my EXTRA large punch powl.

Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.



JUANITA'S HOT BUTTERED RUM
In a medium non-stick sauce pan, combine the following: 1 lb. brown sugar, 1 lb. butter, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1tsp. allspice, 1 tsp. nutmeg, and a 1/2 tsp. cloves. Cook over medium heat until it all melts down and starts to get bubbly. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer mixture to a heatproof bowl too cool. When room temperature, cover and store in refrigerator. When it's "scoopable", place a heaping spoonful in a mug, add 1 1/2 ounces spiced rum, and fill with piping-hot water. Stir well, and enjoy!

You can keep the mix refrigerated, in an airtight container for 2 weeks. It's kinda fun to have on hand when holiday guests stop over...instant specialty drink!


No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!